Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Lesson Quickly Learnt


Although I am Zimbabwean and always look forward to a trip home, I was a bit apprehensive about this trip. It would be my first time traveling home for the specific purpose of meeting vulnerable/orphaned children. I am here to build relationships with the children and to try and understand their needs and even wants, to research and acquire information for ZOF Africa's current educational initiatives for the children, and here to strategize for potential projects. I also realize that this journey may be filled with many unexpected randoms and lessons...

Let me quickly address one issue… I learnt immediately that the majority of children that have lost their parents do not like to be referred to as 'orphans'. The stigma related with the word, especially in Zimbabwe is very difficult for the children to deal with. They also believe that there is more that defines them and would prefer not to be confined to being an "orphan". So throughout this blog I will either refer to them as vulnerable children or simply as children. The title of this blog is fitting because in my eyes I see all children as chosen blossoms. They are so special and it is such a blessing to be a part of their lives… even in the smallest way.

So, here begins my journey...

Will I have the right words to say, will I be strong enough to encourage, will I see below the surface, will I understand their needs, will ZOF Africa make an effective contribution, will the children be inspired?

My hope and belief is yes.

Let's Blossom!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment