Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Information Is A Commodity

For a while now we have been trying to get information on courses offered at one of Zimbabwe's renowned colleges with no avail. We really could not understand why the lack of information and somewhat "secrecy". This week I realized that information in Zimbabwe, and possibly any other developing country, is definitely a commodity. There is a desire to be exclusive in order to offer a service or product that is unique. However, in a developing market it is hard to be the sole provider of a product or service... soon enough someone will copy and paste. With the development of all the new educational institutions in Zimbabwe, even schools succumb to this "secrecy". After being on ground I found this to be the reason we were having such a hard time acquiring information on courses.

I decided to visit Harare Polytechnic College and see if I could get sufficient information to put ZOF's mind at ease concerning which school to partner with. Harare Poly had been recommended to us by a few people including Emerald Hill Children's Home (EHCH) but we needed more than a recommendation. I am so happy that my trip to Harare Poly was not in vain and I won't have to spend the rest of my time in Zimbabwe looking for an alternative school. I met with all the professors for each course and they all seemed very dedicated and knowledgeable in their fields. The courses are quite comprehensive and with lots of practical application. The facilities at Harare Poly are also up to par which is essential for most of the courses, such as garment design. The courses also help to map out career opportunities and possible uses of the skill set in the current market in Zimbabwe.

I am glad that one of the major goals of my trip has been successfully accomplished and ZOF can move forward with our initiative to fund vocational training for vulnerable children. The children are quite excited about it and have been asking me when they are going to start.

Let's Blossom!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment